How to Certify
For complete details on how to cerfity your product to HTNG standards, please see the HTNG Certification Guide. This page provides an overview of the process as it most commonly works. Additional steps may be necessary based on your particular situation. You are welcome to call on HTNG staff to assist you in the process; please address your inquiry to our general information mailbox.
Prepare for the Process
- While it is possible to certify without a "live" implementation, we highly recommend against this if possible. A live implementation with a trading partner who has already implemented the interface will greatly improve your chances of quick success.
- Determine which Technical Specification(s) you will implement. This will depend on the kind of product you offer. You can find a list of technical specifications that are typically relevant for major product types at Specifications by Product Category.
- Determine which Product Specification is relevant. Since 2010, all HTNG web services software specifications are covered by product specifications named "HTNG Web Services" followed by the year and either an "A" (spring release) or a "B" (fall release). Typically you should choose the latest version that is compatible with your needs. However, if you are interfacing to a vendor who has implemented an older version of an HTNG specification, you may need an earlier version for compatibility.
- You may be able to save money by considering what product(s) you really want to certify. For example, if you sell an interface that works with multiple products (or multiple versions of the same product), then it may make more sense to certify the interface itself, rather than the underlying products packaged with the interface. Each product is a separate certification and requires payment of a separate fee. In some cases, you may need to certify a combination of products (two or more products that meet the HTNG requirements but only when implemented together).
- Read the Product Specification and each relevant Technical Specification.
- Read the Conformance Statement questionnaire that is applicable for the Product Specification you have selected. This is the document you will need to complete to testify to your implementation. It may impose specific requirements, for example submission of testing results; this can help you develop your implementation and testing plan.
- Determine which of the optional functionality (as outlined in the Conformance Statement Questionnaire) you plan to support.
- Read the HTNG Trademark License Agreement. If appropriate, ask your legal counsel to review it.
- Read the HTNG Certification Agreement. If appropriate, ask your legal counsel to review it.
Implement the Relevant HTNG Specifications
- Implement the necessary code to support the requirements of the technical specification(s), including any optional functionality you have chosen to support.
- Perform full testing, generating any testing results that are required to be provided on submission of the Conformance Statement Questionnaire.
- If possible, deploy the functionality in a production environment; this may assist in uncovering implementation errors that may not be evident from your testing procedures.
Submit the Necessary Information
- If you do not already have one, create an account with The Open Group's web system, which will be used to manage your certifications. Please note that this account is separate from any HTNG accounts you may have. Instructions can be found in Section 3.3 of the HTNG Certification Guide.
- Register your organization for certification, accept the terms and conditions, and await notice that you are approved to proceed. Instructions can be found in Section 3.3 of the HTNG Certification Guide.
- Register your product in the web certification system. Instructions can be found in Section 3.4 of the HTNG Certification Guide.
- If this is your first certification, then submit a signed hardcopy of the Trademark License Agreement to The Open Group, and enter the date submitted on the web system.
- Complete and upload the Conformance Statement Questionnaire applicable to the Product Specification to which you are certifying.
- Pay the applicable fee to The Open Group.
- Await further instructions or approval.
Once You Are Certified
- You may now advertise your product as HTNG Certified. Any reference to certification must clearly identify which product(s) and version(s) are certified, and to which HTNG Product Specifications, and may not imply that your company and/or other products are certified.
- You may download your certificate in PDF form from the HTNG Register of Certified Products.
- Your certification is valid for one year. After that, you may renew it at a reduced fee, or you may prefer to certify a later product version, or certify to a later HTNG Product Specification, or both.
- If you update your product and the HTNG-related functionality does not change, then you can amend your certification to the new version via an administrative change for a significantly reduced fee.
- If you update your product and the HTNG-related functionality does change, then you must certify the new version separately. The certification for the older version is independent of the new certification, and it can be renewed or allowed to lapse when it expires.
- If questions are raised about your compliance, you must be prepared to respond. If your product is determined not to conform to the requirements, then you will be required to fix the problem, or you can lose your certification.
- If your certification ceases for any reason, you must immediately remove all use of the HTNG trademarks from your product packaging , advertising, website, and similar materials.