Buy with Confidence
HTNG operates the only Branding and Certification Program for hotel technology. The "HTNG Certified" logo on a technology product represents a commitment by the vendor to the buyer that the product meets the highest industry standards for interoperability, backed up by specific conformance to industry-defined norms. It allows conforming vendors to advertise this assurance to their customers while ensuring that non-conforming vendors cannot.
For a high-level tabular summary of the specifications applicable to major product categories, please see Specifications by Category. Buyers can also find out how to ask about HTNG in RFPs for specific products.
For full details on the program, to find specifications for certification, to apply for certification for one of your products, or to see the register of certified products, visit the certification website.
In brief, the program works like this:
- HTNG Workgroups identify sets of product specifications that they think would benefit from certification. As needed, they complete formal documentation of message definitions, assumptions, business rules, hardware specifications, network specifications, or other elements that would define conformity. They also define which elements of a specification are "required" vs. "optional" for products that play specific roles within an interface. View HTNG's available product specifications on the certification site.
- Vendors complete an application process to certify products against a set of specifications. In general, this involves registering, paying the applicable fee, signing a certification agreement and trademark license agreement, and completing a Conformance Statement Questionnaire, which documents the environment in which the product will be certified, the roles the product plays in the interfaces, and the optional features that are supported. It also may require results from testing procedures, documentation of actual implementations, and other information that may be useful to help a buyer evaluate the product. View the Conformance Statement Questionnaires for HTNG product specifications on the certification site.
- HTNG's Certification Authority reviews the application for completeness. If all is in order, then the product becomes certified and listed in the public Certification Register.
- Hotel members of HTNG can consult the Certification Register, which includes links to the Conformance Statement Questionnaires of each certified product. Hotels can use this register to determine which products meet a certain specification, and whether they address environments or optional features that are needed to meet their requirements. By requiring HTNG certification to relevant specifications, they can ensure the highest degree of interoperability. A contractual commitment by a vendor to maintain HTNG certification over time can help to ensure ongoing conformance, and also enables the use of HTNG's no-cost dispute resolution process in the event of a disagreement.
- Vendors must enter into a Trademark License Agreement to use the "HTNG Certified" logo. This gives them the right to use the logo and to describe their certified product as HTNG-certified.
- A formal challenge process allows anyone to dispute a particular vendor's compliance claim, and ensures that challenges are appropriately resolved. If a certified product is found not to be in compliance, then the vendor must correct the problem within 60 days, or lose the rights to use the "HTNG Certified" trademark. In general, it will be easier and less expensive for vendors to correct non-compliance problems rather than having to reprint all of their promotional literature. Buyers can enhance their protection if they require the vendor to maintain continued certification.
- The program uses Trademark Law to ensure compliance. Vendors who claim compliance without having met and maintained the certification requirements are subject to substantial legal penalties. While HTNG provides a mechanism for hotels to determine what a vendor has claimed, and to adjudicate the accuracy of those claims, HTNG does not guarantee vendors' performance and cannot force a vendor to remain certified. .
Don't be misled by vendor claims of "conformance" to HTNG specifications: "conformance" is subjective and open to interpretation; only HTNG certified products are guaranteed by the vendor to be conformant. You can verify the vendor's claim of certification on the public HTNG certification register.
Questions? General questions about the program or about our specifications can be addressed to our Workgroups mailbox. We are happy to provide assistance in navigating the process.